livingontheland - [Livingontheland] squash species

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Lynn Montgomery" <sunfarm@toast.net>
  • To: <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] squash species
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 14:48:40 -0700

Dear Harvey,
    Actually, there are 3 separate species here. Cucurbita pepo includes most pumpkins and zuccini. Cucurbita moschata are the butternuts and some pumpkin types. Cucurbita maxima are hubbards and buttercups. These species do not cross with one another usually. The seeds are how you tell the difference.
Regards, Lynn

To Grow a garden is to believe in tomorrow
- Eleanor Roosevelt

Message: 5