livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] The 11 Best Foods You Aren’t Eating

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: <yarrow@sfo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] The 11 Best Foods You Aren’t Eating
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 09:22:05 -0800

On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 07:47:49 EST, brucestay@aol.com wrote:
> Are winter squash seeds as good as pumpkin seeds? We don't grow pumpkins
> but do grow some winter squash.

They're terrific! Usually I bake my winter squashes whole, then cut them in
half and separate out the seeds. I don't wash them, just remove the larger
pieces of nonedible squash innards. (If the squash is immature it'll have
hollow or immature seeds, which I don't bother roasting. Look for the plump
seeds.) Then I put them on a baking sheet at 250F until done, probably half
an hour or so. Don't let them go too long or they may burn! Once they're
done and cooled, I can store them for a few days (if they last).

I've eaten all kinds of squash seeds: delicata, butternut, buttercup,
jarradale, acorn, sweet dumpling, etc.