livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Share experiences breeding geese?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Harvey Ussery <harvey@themodernhomestead.us>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Share experiences breeding geese?
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 08:33:20 -0500

If there are list members who have successfully bred geese, I'd love to hear about your experiences. I have tried *three* times in the past, bombed out each time as a result of one frustration or another. I'm going to try again with a trio of nice Pilgrims (out of Dave Holderread's stock). Have researched management of breeders in Holderread's goose book and DOMESTIC GEESE by Aston, but knowing what you've found works would be a big boost.

If you're able to give advice, please specify breed(s) you've worked with; your management, especially in winter; nests you provided and whether indoors or out--any other key to success.

If I'm successful with the attempt this year, I'll be writing an article about my long goose-breeding saga for Backyard Poultry magazine, and will include a short chapter in the book I'm writing as well. I'd love to be able to include your successful experiences as well.

Many thanks for your help.

~Harvey

--
Harvey in northern Virginia
www.themodernhomestead.us

The threat of nuclear weapons and man's ability to destroy the environment
are really alarming. And yet there are other almost imperceptible changes--I
am thinking of the exhaustion of our natural resources, and especially of
soil erosion--and these are perhaps more dangerous still, because once we
begin to feel their repercussions it will be too late. ~The Dalai Lama