livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Food waste turns stomachs in environmental circles

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Harvey Ussery <harvey@themodernhomestead.us>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Food waste turns stomachs in environmental circles
  • Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 12:43:48 -0500

Food waste turns stomachs in environmental circles
http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,5002347,00.html
25.12.2009 Deutsche Welle

It is estimated that 12% of the material going to landfills in this country is food "wastes." That represents an inexcusable sluicing of *energy* out of the total system.

One way to recapture that energy is the use of Black Soldier Fly grubs--their most efficient food is "food residuals." The residue from the culture of BSF grubs is a fantastic soil fertility amendment--and the mature grubs themselves make nutrient-dense feed for poultry, pigs, and farmed fish. Best of all, the grubs *self-harvest* into collection buckets for such use!

See my introductory article on soldier grubs at
http://www.themodernhomestead.us/article/Black+Soldier+Fly.html

I successfully cultivated a BSF colony last summer and fall. My goal next year is to replace at least 25% of the feed I buy for my poultry flocks with soldier grubs.

~Harvey

--
Harvey in northern Virginia
www.themodernhomestead.us

The threat of nuclear weapons and man's ability to destroy the environment
are really alarming. And yet there are other almost imperceptible changes--I
am thinking of the exhaustion of our natural resources, and especially of
soil erosion--and these are perhaps more dangerous still, because once we
begin to feel their repercussions it will be too late. ~The Dalai Lama

  • Re: [Livingontheland] Food waste turns stomachs in environmental circles, Harvey Ussery, 12/28/2009