livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] A regenerative agriculture (was Re: Antibiotics)

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Harvey Ussery <harvey@themodernhomestead.us>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] A regenerative agriculture (was Re: Antibiotics)
  • Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 13:35:49 -0500

Emery Mitchamore wrote:
Both sides of this discussion have failed to mention the key point - that *CONCENTRATED ANIMAL FEEDING OPERATIONS *are the problem. Sure, some eat meat, and some don't, but we should, in every discussion, identify the common enemy. ~Emery

Good point, Emery, and one I should have made. But then I didn't assume that CAFO's and "a regenerative agriculture" could be taken as being in the same logical construct.

If the only meat were CAFO meat, I'd be a vegan, too. (And yes, I do practice what I preach: I've had to do a couple of lunches at a local restaurant recently. I choose vegetarian fare, because I *will not* eat the animals on the menu--chicken, beef, pork--that were produced in a way I find not only morally repulsive but an assault on agricultural sustainability.)

~Harvey

--
Harvey in northern Virginia
www.themodernhomestead.us