livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] neem oil

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: arjunan <dobighazameen@gmail.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] neem oil
  • Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 10:19:03 +0530

Yes, in India we do use Neem oil. Also Neem leaves if soaked in water overnight & made into a liquid spray is also very effective, using Neem leaves in soil preparation is also excellent for the soil, we put Neem leaves in storage containers of rice & pulses to prevent weevils, Neem seeds can also be crushed & added to the liquid spray or in soil preparation

But i would not say Neem oil is a cure all. Infact there is no cure all. It depends on so many things & circumstances, especially the state of the soil, bio diversity & also having plants of different age groups.

Many MNC's have jumped into this bandwagon of making Neem oil & saying its a cure all. Personally i prefer Neem leaves, since it is easily available in India. Very successful farmers like Bhaskarbhai Save of Kalpakavriksh farm, in south Gujarat India, has always used a combination of Neem leaves & Custard Apple leaves in his rice fields with stupendous success.

warmly,