livingontheland - [Livingontheland] The Organic Revolution: How We Can Stop Global Warming

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] The Organic Revolution: How We Can Stop Global Warming
  • Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 09:14:04 -0600

The Organic Revolution: How We Can Stop Global Warming
by Ronnie Cummins
Published on Thursday, October 22, 2009 by CommonDreams.org

"Let us not talk falsely now, for the hour is getting late."
Bob Dylan, "All Along the Watchtower"

* * *

Beyond the gloom and doom of the climate crisis, there lies a powerful and
regenerative grassroots solution: organic food, farming, and ranching. Even
as politicians and the powerful fossil fuel lobby drag their heels and refuse
to acknowledge that we have about ten years left of "business as usual"
before we irreversibly destroy the climate and ourselves, there is a
powerful, though largely unrecognized, life-force spreading its roots
underground.

Millions of organic farmers, ranchers, conservationists, and backyard
gardeners (supported by millions of organic consumers) are demonstrating that
we can build a healthy alternative to industrial agriculture and Food Inc.
Our growing organic movement is proving that we can not only feed the world
with healthy food, but also reverse global warming, by capturing and
sequestering billions of tons of climate-destabilizing greenhouse gases in
the soil, through plant photosynthesis, composting, cover crops, rotational
grazing, wetlands preservation, and reforestation.

The heretofore unpublicized "good news" on climate change, according to the
Rodale Institute and other soil scientists, is that transitioning from
chemical, water, and energy-intensive industrial agriculture practices to
organic farming and ranching on the world's 3.5 billion acres of farmland and
8.2 billion acres of pasture or rangeland can sequester 7,000 pounds per acre
of climate-destabilizing CO2 every year, while nurturing healthy soils,
plants, grasses, and trees that are resistant to drought, heavy rain, pests,
and disease. And of course organic farms and ranches can provide us with food
that is much more nutritious than industrial farms and ranches-food filled
with vitamins, anti-oxidants, and essential trace minerals, free from
Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs), pesticides, antibiotics, and sewage
sludge.

In 2006, U.S. carbon dioxide pollution from fossil fuels (approximately 25%
of the world's total) was estimated at nearly 6.5 billion tons. If a 7,000
lb/CO2/ac/year sequestration rate were achieved on all 434 million acres of
cropland in the United States, nearly 1.6 billion tons of carbon dioxide
would be sequestered per year, mitigating close to one quarter of the
country's total fossil fuel emissions. If pastures and rangelands were
similarly converted to organic practices, we would literally be well on our
way to reversing global warming.

But we need an organic revolution in ranching and livestock production, as
well as farming and forestry. We need to drastically reduce meat
overproduction (77% of all U.S. agriculture resources are devoted to raising
animals or animal feed), and over-consumption (a leading cause of obesity,
heart disease and cancer) and ban methane-belching factory farms. As the
Rodale Institute points out, organic livestock raising practices, including
rotational grazing, manure management, methane capture for biogas production,
and improved feeds and feed additives, can drastically reduce
livestock-related emissions and, because of the massive acreage currently
devoted to livestock production (nearly 2.5 times greater than croplands),
can safely sequester approximately 60% of the total greenhouse gases that
humans, animals, cars, and industry are pumping out every year.

This Organic Revolution, or "Great Sequestering," made possible by a global
grassroots movement with the power to transform the marketplace and public
policy, is perhaps the only short-term strategy or solution at hand that can
buy us the precious time we need to radically reduce energy use and
greenhouse pollution and build a green economy. Although politicians and the
coal and utilities industry claim that sequestration of massive carbon
dioxide emissions from coal-fired power plants is on the horizon, there is
little or no scientific evidence to back this up. Sequestration of CO2 in the
soils of organic farms and ranches, on the other hand, is a proven fact.

Before carbon sequestering forests and grasslands were ravaged by
chemical-intensive industrial agriculture (and industrial forestry), soil
organic matter generally composed 6-10% of the soil volume, three to six
times the 1-3% levels typical of today's industrial agriculture soils. In
other words, taxpayer subsidized, chemical-based industrial agriculture,
factory farms, and unrestricted grazing (along with industrial forestry) have
turned the earth's soil (which still contains three times as much carbon as
the entire amount of CO2 in the atmosphere) from being a climate-stabilizing
carbon sink into a massive and dangerous source of global warming.

Given our escalating climate emergency, the burning question is how do we
move organics in the U.S. from being the 4% alternative in the marketplace to
being the norm, and organic acreage from being 1% of total cultivated land to
the majority of farmland, pasture, and rangeland? The answer of course is
that we must sound the alert, offer up our practical solutions and rapidly
transform public consciousness and policy. But the Via Organica, the road to
get there, will be long and arduous. The majority of Americans must not only
stop buying chemical, GMO, globally sourced and so-called "natural" food, and
switch to organic and more locally and regionally produced products, but we
must also rise up as a political movement and change public policy. We must
literally force the politicians and the corporations to put a halt to our
"business as usual" destruction of the climate and public health, and instead
move to an ethical and scientifically grounded policy and practice that
promotes health, conservation, greenhouse gas reduction, and organic
sequestration. Please join and support the Organic Consumers Association and
the climate change movement http://www.350.org as we carry out this life or
death campaign.

Ronnie Cummins is co-founder and director of the Organic Consumers
Association.
http://organicconsumers.org/

  • [Livingontheland] The Organic Revolution: How We Can Stop Global Warming, Tradingpost, 10/23/2009