livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Loss of Soil Carbon After Tilling

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Marty Kraft <martyk@allspecies.org>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Loss of Soil Carbon After Tilling
  • Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 08:33:41 -0500

Does anyone know of any graphs or other data showing the rate of carbon loss after tilling? After i till a bed how quickly should it be covered by mulch to prevent carbon loss? I am practicing no-till gardening and i just dug two beds of sweet potatoes which is a lot like tilling. It's raining and i haven't mulched yet. I'll cover the soil when i can but this is a question that often arises. Does anyone know of a rule of thumb for this question?

Marty Kraft, Kansas City

  • [Livingontheland] Loss of Soil Carbon After Tilling, Marty Kraft, 10/22/2009