livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Sorghums, millets, and sunflowers as feed

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Elizabeth B." <spacecitydx@webtv.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Sorghums, millets, and sunflowers as feed
  • Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 22:47:16 GMT

Congrats on your article to MEW Harvey and I'll be looking for it in Backyard Poultry. I also look forward to hearing about your home feeding project. I'm still dealing with the after effects from hurricane Ike but here is what and where I purchased my seed.

*Sorghum: I bought Sorghum Alum, Sorghum spp. from www.Seedland.com just put "sorghum" into their product search box, it will be the 3rd or 4th item down. Fair warning Harvey, it costs $85 for a 50 lb bag. There were five of us who went in together on this purchase. It takes about 7 lbs to seed an acre. Producer's Co-op may sell smaller increments.

I can tell you that you need to cut the seed heads off if you plant them in your pasture with goats. Sorghum seed heads promote urinary calculi in the bucks. My chickens, guineas and turks loved the seed heads. It also makes great fodder for my goats and cows. Mine usually eat everything before the first frost, if not, pull them out of that pasture because sorghum will go toxic with frost.

As to the differences between S. vulgare and S bicolor are concerned, I think this is based on sweetness. The bicolor is sweeter than the grain.

*Millet: I also bought Pearl Millet from Seedland.com and my poultry loved it. This is also a great "dual-purpose" crop because it grows in the spring/summer and come fall, it also makes a great fodder crop for goats and cows. I don't bother harvesting it, I just turn them loose.

*Sunflowers: I grow Maxamillian sunflowers and get them from a couple  of sources. For increments 10 lbs. or larger, Bamertseed.com is the place to go. For less poundage, I go to Callahan's General Store over in Austin, Tx. They get their seeds from Bamert. It's easier to look at Bamert's website and decide what all you want then call Callahan's because they don't list their seeds on the website.

Callahan's General Store, 501 Bastrop Hwy, Austin, TX 78741
Phone: (800) 950-8602, Fax (512) 385-0932 Open Mon-Sat, 8:00 a.m - 6:00 p.m
www.callahansgeneralstore.com

For additional seeds, I order from Johnny's and www.bountifulgardens.org

Elizabeth