livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Sorghums, millets, and sunflowers as feed

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Liz" <liz@allslash.org>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Sorghums, millets, and sunflowers as feed
  • Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 19:40:58 -0400

Harvey, I can't provide any help with the sorghum or millet, but I'll be very interested in reading other people's input, as this subject is something I'm also very interested in.

As far as the sunflowers go, I can't answer for the chickens (I have a chicken mansion, but no chickens). However, I grew oilseed sunflowers this year as well as the Mammomth Russian type, and the birds went nuts over the oilseed variety. Not that they didn't like the other too, but given a choice, they'd have decimated the oilseed flowers. This was the Peredovik variety, and I got them from Southern Exposure. I had a hard time finding these--almost all the commercial growers are now selling a hybrid version of Peredovik, and only in huge quantities at a time. I was very happy to find that SSSE had them in packets.

Liz
http://life-as-a-spectator-sport.com

*Sunflowers: I grew both the big-head/big-seed type (Mammoth Russian
Grey Stripe) and the multi-head/smaller seed type. I just cut off the
heads when the seeds were ripe and threw the whole heads to the
birds--they pecked out the seeds themselves.

Anyone experimented with raising sunflowers for poultry feed?
Recommendation on best varieties and seed sources?