livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] We Don't Need a Food Revolution, We Just Need to Learn How to Cook

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Liz" <liz@allslash.org>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] We Don't Need a Food Revolution, We Just Need to Learn How to Cook
  • Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 08:05:01 -0400

This is all good advice, but it ignores an underlying problem with society. Many many people live a lifestyle that simply does not include time for real cooking. And before anyone jumps in with "It only takes a few minutes to make . . . " Yes, I know that. I've cooked from scratch for decades. Right now I barely have time to go through fast food drive-throughs. I typically leave home at 6:00am and get back no earlier than 9:00pm, usually later. This is a change in my work schedule, but it's one I have no control over at the moment. There are many people with a less demanding schedule, but who have more obligations at home than I do. I can at least do my computer work and then hit the sack when I get home. I don't have small children to care for, and my housemate couldn't care less what the house looks like as long as he's taken care of. For people with those obligations to deal with, a frozen meal in a cardboard carton that can be cooked in a few seconds in the microwave seems like the only alternative to fast food. I don't like it, but I understand it.

Getting away from the current industrialized high-stress fast-paced way of life is the only permanent way to solve the cooking issue. My situation is temporary, but a lot of people live with no time for anything all the time. When that changes, people who used to cook will return to cooking, and a lot more will learn, out of necessity if nothing else.

Liz
http://life-as-a-spectator-sport.com

We Don't Need a Food Revolution, We Just Need to Learn How to Cook
http://www.alternet.org/environment/142503/we_don%27t_need_a_food_revolution%2C_we_just_need_to_learn_how_to_cook
By Dan Barber, The Nation. Posted September 14, 2009.

A lack of technique behind the stove is, in the end, as complicit in harming human health and the environment as the confinement pig or the corn-fed steer.