livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Friends, Gardeners, Naturalists, Lend Me Your Microbes

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Marty Kraft <martyk@allspecies.org>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Friends, Gardeners, Naturalists, Lend Me Your Microbes
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 18:42:43 -0500

I've been getting into compost tea lately. The idea of soil organisms raising our vegetables makes sense to me. I also got an email recently about a kid isolating a microbe that eats plastic. That's an interesting idea. I'm not excited about isolating microbes but i am into bringing all i can find to a party in our garden. If i can introduce microbes from the most fertile places maybe our garden will take on that fertility. I want to get small amounts of soil from gardens and wild places and use it to inoculate compost tea. Then i will spray the tea on our beds.

I would love to have a hand full of soil from just under the litter from the most beautiful places that people have access to. I believe that we are naturally attracted to the beauty of nature in balance. When i see a place in nature that is particularly fertile i am somehow moved by it. This goes for forests, prairies, thickets, or even a shovel full of rich soil or compost. I think we intuitively know good health in nature when we see it.

I can cover the cost of postage provided i don't get too many baggies of soil. If it's compost it should be well broken down. I think a cup or less will do. If you can, send a description of the place where you collected it. Get poetic if you like.

Thanks

Marty Kraft for the garden at Niles Home for Children and Tracy Garden. 816-333-5663
5644 Charlotte
Kansas City, MO 64110

  • [Livingontheland] Friends, Gardeners, Naturalists, Lend Me Your Microbes, Marty Kraft, 07/21/2009