livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Big Ag's Big Lie About Organic Food

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Liz" <liz@allslash.org>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Big Ag's Big Lie About Organic Food
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2009 20:20:00 -0400

And there is another reason. Two other reasons, actually, but one is an indirect result of the other. In the so-called "developed" world, much of the food is wasted, either before its end-user purchase or afterward. And there is a substantial and growing gulf between people who can afford to waste food, and continue to do it, and people who can barely afford to buy it to begin with. Take away those two problems, and there would be more available food for everyone. The trouble is that no amount of legislation would fix either one of them, and the people causing the problems are oblivious to social protest.

Liz
http://life-as-a-spectator-sport.com

The reason why there's such a stark difference between the developed
and developing world is not because organic magically produces more
in developing nations. Rather, it is because the farmers in those
countries often lack the crop inputs used in the developed world to
obtain such high yields. As the inputs used in the U.S. involve a LOT
of oil, a resource we are running out of, this says to me that our
best route to maximum yields in the future is going organic now.