livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Peak Oil And World Food Supplies

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pete Vukovich <pvukovic1@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Peak Oil And World Food Supplies
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2009 13:22:29 -0700 (PDT)

You won't get an argument from me as to whether technology or 'free market' philosophies save anything. Were on the same page there. In my mind, both are primarily either pipe dreams or snake oil scams. Neither are well thought out, and in the best of cases zero sum games. On balance, I'd say the 'free market' has made people clever but shallow and dumber, and technology has convinced them that someone or something else can do their thinking for them - its largest impact (IMO) being a loss of self reliance, and some deep confusions about how nature and people work.

The free market has created as much poverty as its concentrated wealth (according to our own labor department), and technology really hasn't helped most people make better use of resources and energy as much as it has presented us with new ways of wasting them. It would be hard to support an argument that says they'll fix agriculture.

Of course this list is a notable exception in both the free market and technology arenas, and like OWL it suffers from being 'outmoded' and 'useful'  - as opposed to 'cutting edge' and utterly trivial. People think here, and I'm grateful for their thoughts and information. I can't help but think without the computer and the internet some of the same people would be sending their thoughts and experiences pony express.