livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Plants 'talk' to warn each other of threats

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pete Vukovich <pvukovic1@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Plants 'talk' to warn each other of threats
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 23:15:38 -0700 (PDT)

Its not a long jump biologically speaking from having perception to having communication. And as far back as the 1800's some pretty unusual experiments on plant perception were done with some wild results. Sort of depends on how you view the world what you consider perception. Certainly non of this is particularly new to older cultures particularly those who interpret pretty much everything as having consciousness, perception, and potentially some form of communication. My own observations on flowering of my various species of potatoes suggest (just to me) that for some reason when one starts flowering within a week or two others all around them seem to get the same idea regardless of relative light, moisture, type of soil , etc - nothing I can write a paper about, they just seem to set off each other. Their reactions to fungus or potato virus's don't seem to work that way however.

Plants are pretty complex things, they've been around a long time. Studies I read a couple years ago from the university of michigan suggest they may store much more complex memories and responses in their DNA than humans are capable of (ie they can turn on immune responses generations after they are encountered, unlike humans who seem to need a direct contact response to get the equivalent T and B cell cascades in gear).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plant_perception_(paranormal)