livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Gardeners coming up ways to take down Corporate Food

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Gardeners coming up ways to take down Corporate Food
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 22:43:52 -0600

Unfortunately what gets written up in the papers often isn't the most
practical or widely useful or economical type of home food production.
These kind of stories get a lot of play. What doesn't is the everyday
efforts of millions to learn food growing on the cheap. As one of those
links begins: "Some busy people rely on personal chefs and personal
shoppers. Attorney Catherine Turner has a personal farmer." That's an
upscale niche market and not the way to get millions more home gardens. Nor
is it a realistic way to save on groceries.

The image of young guys biking to their clients looks green, but you can't
haul all those amendments and materials on a bike. It's slower than driving
and they have to charge for their time. As for teaching people to grow
food, I have my doubts. Actually coaching someone to do it themselves would
teach them how. That and a few mistakes and contrary weather. I object to
them trading on the trendy name of permaculture. That's not intended to be
an efficient food production approach, and shouldn't be represented to be.
I won't even get started on the CSA hype.