livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] HR 2749 - The Food Safety Enhancement Act of 2009

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Liz" <liz@allslash.org>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] HR 2749 - The Food Safety Enhancement Act of 2009
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 09:52:17 -0400

Thanks for posting this. I have no problem with the safety sections of the bill, but much of the rest of it is so vaguely worded that it will take court action to interpret it, and that isn't what we need in a big new piece of legislation. Some of the safety aspects may seem onerous for a small producer, but there are likely to be boilerplate documents available that will streamline that part of it. The safety requirements themselves don't seem unreasonable (and I'd be willing to abide by them if I were selling to the public).

One comment about how this will affect Amish and Mennonite farmers. Only the most conservative of the Mennonite communities refuse to use any kind of technology (I have personal knowledge of that--I sold computers for years to Mennonite businesses). And I know individual Amish folk who use their neighbors' computers when they need to. The Amish and Beachy Mennonite opposition to technology is not to the technology itself, but to becoming dependent on it. So the requirement for electronic registration doesn't have to be a huge problem.

Liz
http://life-as-a-spectator-sport.com