livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Could Food Shortages Bring Down Civilization?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Could Food Shortages Bring Down Civilization?
  • Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 13:37:39 -0600

Good point, Liz. True, the grains are what agribusiness wants to grow; they
guarantee business for the middlemen (Cargill et al) since we don't eat
grains directly without processing. Plus grain is for finishing beef at
CAFOs, which we just don't need, period. We could live well on one-tenth of
the beef we get, or less of course. Which would free up millions of acres
for far more good food production, food that's eaten more locally when it's
fresh and nutritious. And as you point out, we could get far more food
value from other crops grown on former grain fields that stretch from
horizon to horizon. Potatoes and beans yield far more food value per acre,
for example. And more profit, if anyone's concerned with that.