livingontheland - [Livingontheland] had a good laugh today?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] had a good laugh today?
  • Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 15:16:14 -0600

First lady's organic garden concerns chemical firms
By Jim Snyder
http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/first-ladys-organic-garden-concerns-chem
ical-companies-2009-04-09.html

Michelle Obama planted an organic garden to promote fruits and vegetables
as part of a healthy diet, but some chemical companies are worried it may
plant a seed of doubt in consumers’ minds about conventionally grown
crops.

“Fresh foods grown conventionally are wholesome and flavorful yet more
economical,” the Mid America CropLife Association (MACA) wrote the first
lady last month a few days after she and fifth-graders from a local
elementary school planted the White House Kitchen Garden.

The garden is designed to produce fresh fruits and vegetables for the first
family and White House staff and guests. The garden itself doesn’t give
the group heartburn. The letter also congratulates the first lady “on
recognizing the importance of agriculture to America!”

But MACA, which represents agribusinesses like Monsanto, Dow AgroSciences
and DuPont Crop Protection, is rather less thrilled about the fact that no
chemicals will be used to grow the crops. The group is worried that the
decision may give consumers the wrong impression about conventionally grown
food.

“We live in a very different world than that of our grandparents.
Americans are juggling jobs with the needs of children and aging
parents,” the letter states. “The time needed to tend a garden is not
there for the majority of our citizens, certainly not a garden of
sufficient productivity to supply much of a family’s year-round food
needs.”

The blog La Vida Locavore posted the letter last month.

Although pesticides or chemical fertilizers won’t be used on the White
House garden, Camille Johnston, spokeswoman for the first lady, said Mrs.
Obama wanted to plant the garden to promote the eating of fruits and
vegetables as part of a healthy diet.

MACA members just want a little love pointed their way: “As you go about
planning and planting the White House garden, we respectfully encourage you
to recognize the role conventional agriculture plays in the U.S. in feeding
the ever-increasing population, contributing to the U.S. economy and
providing a safe and economical food supply.”

  • [Livingontheland] had a good laugh today?, Tradingpost, 04/11/2009