livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Seminar at Airlie and tour of Boxwood (northern VA) mid-April (OT)

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Harvey Ussery <harvey@themodernhomestead.us>
  • To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Seminar at Airlie and tour of Boxwood (northern VA) mid-April (OT)
  • Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 15:57:34 -0500

Hi All,

I just posted this upcoming seminar notice on the homepage of my website:
http://themodernhomestead.us/article/Home.html

We are in northern Virginia. If you know someone in our area who you think might want to attend, please pass this notice on. Thanks.

~Harvey

*******************

On Friday, April 17, I will give an all-day presentation at the Airlie Foundation's conference center in Warrenton, Virginia, building on my presentation there last spring, "The Integrated Homestead." The theme of that presentation was: integrating the diverse elements of the homestead so they support and enhance each other, creating synergistic efficiencies and more sustainable ecological patterns.

This year I will continue developing those ideas with "The Integrated Homestead: Elaborating the Theme," illustrating the heart of our approach with more detailed discussions of particular homestead projects. I will try to make the presentation useful both to participants who attended last year's presentation, and to those who are new to my ideas.

Specific topic areas will be chosen from the following:

*The Joys of Cover Cropping (An introduction to the mysteries of sustainable soil fertility as well as a how-to on making cover cropping work)
*Starting Transplants
*Seed Saving
*Chickens as Shredder/Composters
*Using Cultivated Fungi in the Homestead
*Dealing With Insects Without Using Toxins
*Vermicomposting Using the Boxwood System
*The Multi-Functional Homestead Greenhouse

I am not sure what the fee for participation will be this year, but will post that information when it is available. (It was $80 last year, for both the Airlie all-day and a tour for participants next day at Boxwood, our homestead of 25 years.) The registration fee will include a fabulous lunch based on local ingredients (for which the Airlie kitchen is famous); several information-dense handouts to take home as a resource, some of them new pieces written for this presentation; and a tour of Boxwood, about 20 miles northwest of Warrenton, next morning, Saturday, April 18 (9:30 until noon). Participants will be able to see up close and personal some real-life applications of the ideas presented at Airlie.

There will be a limit of 40 participants, so register early if you want to attend. For more information, check the Local Food Project page
http://airlie.org/activities/foodproject.htm
on the Airlie site. At the moment, that page has not been updated with an announcement of April's presentation. However, there are phone and email contacts for more information: localfoodproject@airlie.org or 540-347-1300, ext 3163

--
Harvey in northern Va
www.themodernhomestead.us

  • [Livingontheland] Seminar at Airlie and tour of Boxwood (northern VA) mid-April (OT), Harvey Ussery, 02/20/2009