livingontheland - [Livingontheland] (no subject)

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: chaogrrl <chaogrrl@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] (no subject)
  • Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 11:03:13 -0800 (PST)

>However... they only sell seed for field crops like cotton, soy, corn, >etc,
>not veggies or other garden varieties. NOBODY can control what we save >from
>millions of home gardens.

While it is true that seed-saving is a great option, please be aware that
Monsanto now owns Seminis, one of the largest producers of home garden seeds,
and has been busily buying up other seed companies. The only company that I
know for sure that has dropped all seminis varieties is Fedco Seeds. I use
Fedco seeds almost exclusively now as I would rather exist on nettle and
purslane than give one thin dime to Monsanto.

Laura, central wisconsin