livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Vermonters rediscover root cellars

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Mark Teague <gooddogboy.mark@gmail.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Vermonters rediscover root cellars
  • Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 10:00:16 -0600

Thanks, that was really a great response.

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 1:28 PM, Lynn Montgomery <sunfarm@toast.net> wrote:
Garlic is always alive. It does goes somewhat dormant, but there is no way to keep it down. It expects to be planted in the soil in the Fall, and no matter what the conditions, will start to sprout this time of year, at the latest. You did very well if it lasted until now. Eat it up and then wait until harvest this Spring. If you are not already planting in the Fall, consider changing your rotation to fit the natural growing cycle. Think of garlic's close relatives, tulips and daffodils.
Here in NM we don't have cellars. I put 3oz. frost fabric tunnels over my root veggies and they keep just fine. Being from Vermont, I have fond memories of my Grandmother's cellar, with shelves of jars with wonderful pickles and other veggies and fruits, plus all the boxes of root veggies and cans of maple syrup. The garlic and onions were kept in a cool pantry, along with the honey. I don't have fond memories of all the work to put it all up and like the laid back approach to things here in NM.
Lynn Montgomery
Placitas, NM

The time is always right to do what is right.

        Martin Luther King Jr.

Message: 2