livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] The Baltic Dry Index and Empty Store Shelves

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen@earthlink.net>
  • To: "'Healthy soil and sustainable growing'" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] The Baltic Dry Index and Empty Store Shelves
  • Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 07:58:54 -0800

> The Baltic Dry Index and Empty Store Shelves
> http://survivingthemiddleclasscrash.wordpress.com/

This is somewhat misleading. The DBI is dry shipping is mostly bulk
commodities such as grain and steel. The raw materials needed to build the
stuff we think we really need. The BDI jumped recently from its historic
lows:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123421930537965253.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Another indicator of international activity is TEU or Twenty foot Equivalent
Units. This is a measure of cargo container activity. Most containers you
see are 40 ft for 2 TEUs. I cannot find the latest figures and they do not
separate empty and full or what is in the container but they do show
economic activity for finished goods. In any case it is also way off.

Many shipping companies have cancelled orders for new dry and container
ships. Ships are parked all over the world because the credit market freeze
and worldwide downturn in demand. For some companies it is now cheaper to
store oil on a ship than on land.

Stock up is good advice in any case. I am currently restoring an old table
saw and I am needing a few bolts. Instead of buying a handful of 5/16 bolts
I buy the box. They will always be there, they will not rot, and will save
trips to the hardware store in the future.

Don Bowen KI6DIU