livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Snow study shows California faces historic drought

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pete Vukovich <pvukovic1@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Snow study shows California faces historic drought
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 12:06:12 -0800 (PST)

They will go through the roof eventually, but this has been ongoing. Water content has been steadily dropping (according to what our snow lab guys up on donner pass road/soda springs told me) for at least a decade. The lab is there because supposedly soda springs gets the deepest snow in the sierras (used to live there, and had more than one 40 foot winter so that seems plausible - but the last couple years didn't top 20 feet).

  In the sierras, snows are melting earlier, and snows are coming later every year.
As a side note , its been about what? 10 years since snow turned to rain one winter and yosemite's merced river took out the bulk of the fields in tracy and manteca all the way to sacramento, and the farms seemed to wash away with it. Most of that became suburban developments within a couple years (it seemed like it anyway).

 Tahoe is tapped out , the truckee river is tapped out (thanks to reno development),  and soon the sac delta will be tapped out too. Hetch hetchy looked pretty low last time I was up there (a year or two ago).  Like a previous article you posted said, the central valley aquifers already over taxed, and its not just central north and southern california that are seeing this trend, I'm told the klamath has been lower but I haven't been up there in a couple years to see for myself.

I think nature has decided to dry out california , and most of urbanistas only seem to notice their lawns are a little brown or their cars are a little dirtier. I think they're in for a surprise, dont you?