livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Genetically Modified Crops Implicated in Honeybee Colony Collapse Disorder

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Genetically Modified Crops Implicated in Honeybee Colony Collapse Disorder
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 13:05:17 -0700

True, there are other problems with hives and always have been. But this
carries a larger threat. Way too many of our commercial crops depend on the
hive industry, and if it continues we could face rationing of certain
fruits and vegetables or worse. We take food for granted, oranges and
strawberries in dead of winter, tomatoes year round, and on and on. Besides
CCD we're facing other likely threats to food security. Gas is cheap now
but trust me, it won't stay cheap. They say that without restocking it
takes 2 to 3 days for a supermaket to empty. From what I read I'm betting
grain products will cost far more in 2009. But at this point, how to price
our market produce this summer is only a blind guess.