livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Genetically Modified Crops Implicated in Honeybee Colony Collapse Disorder

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Liz" <liz@allslash.org>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Genetically Modified Crops Implicated in Honeybee Colony Collapse Disorder
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 00:24:48 -0500

As far as I know, this is the first time anyone has suggested a likely mechanism and has also done any kind of controlled testing for it. Just for anecdotal purposes, neither I nor the other local beekeepers (as far as I know--not all of them participate in the local organization) have had a problem with colony collapse disorder. But we also don't have a high percentage of GMO crops planted here, like corn or soybeans. A few farmers grow field corn, but almost no one grows sweet corn, which is more likely to be planted with a GMO variety, and I don't think anyone is growing soybeans on a large scale. Certainly not canola. If Monsanto figures out how to put Bt in tobacco, we may be in trouble! But here's just one location where bees are not in trouble and where few GMO crops (if any) are grown.

Liz
http://life-as-a-spectator-sport.com