livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Happy New Year (anyway)

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Happy New Year (anyway)
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 16:11:15 -0700

As one who skipped the expense of a tiller, I'm glad to see someone say
this.

from your page, Harvey:
http://themodernhomestead.us/article/(IH)+Tools+and+Species.html

"There is far too great a tendency in our culture to assume that powered
machines perform needed tasks faster, more efficiently, and better than
human-powered tools. There is also a regrettable tendency to see the
homestead as an analog in miniature of big industrial agriculture. Do we
really need to mechanize at the homestead level? Are powered machine tools
really more efficient? Are there simpler, cheaper, more natural solutions
for growing our food?

"As fossil energies become more scarce and more expensive, the purchase of
a powered machine for every homestead task will be at the least a far more
expensive proposition. It may be wise to explore low-tech, human-powered
tools that require no fossil fuel to operate, and far less “embodied
energy” in their production. From the standpoint of maintenance and
storage, hand tools are superior choices. Finally, while it is said that
powered machines make the job “easier,” it is well to remember that
they are noisy, jarring, and stinky. These physical effects of machine use
add stress to the work, meaning their use is “harder” than we assume.
By contrast, well designed hand tools like the scythe or broadfork
introduce a ballet-like grace to our tasks."