livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] The Importance of Seed Saving

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Liz <liz@allslash.org>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] The Importance of Seed Saving
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 12:20:49 -0400

At 07:25 AM 10/28/2008, you wrote:

There is disagreement about the amount of crossing, both between
varieties of cultivated lettuce (Lactuca sativa), and between L. sativa
and its closest wild relative, L. serriola. Based on Suzanne Ashworth's
take on the subject [her SEED TO SEED is the bible on the subject of
seed saving], I'd guess that--if your green leaf lettuce is the only

Thank you for the additional clarification. I assumed she was asking whether the seed would grow at all, not whether it would grow into the same variety.

I grow two varieties of leaf lettuce in planters, one on the front porch and one on the back porch, and as far as I can see there is no crossing between them. Not enough to be a problem, at any rate.

In the winter, I also grow head lettuce in cold frames in the garden, and have seen no obvious crossing between that variety and the leaf lettuce either.

Liz in SW VA
http://life-as-a-spectator-sport.com