livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] The Importance of Seed Saving

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Liz <liz@allslash.org>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] The Importance of Seed Saving
  • Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 09:03:44 -0400

At 11:23 AM 10/26/2008, you wrote:
My green leaf lettuce has gone to seed. Can I just take those seeds now and plant them? Forgive me if I sound stupid, I'm new at gardening!

If the lettuce is to the point where the seeds have turned black and are starting to fall off, then yes. In fact, it's likely to reseed on its own. If what you have is little green globes, those are not seed, but tiny flower buds. Let it go until you can actually see the black seed.

My lettuce always reseeds itself, but I collect some anyway to have a wider genetic diversity. The lettuce that comes up on its own is usually just from one or two plants, but I take seed from all of them that managed to go to seed. I combine it with seed from the previous planting so there is year-to-year diversity too. I always have healthy robust plants, so it must be working.

Liz in SW VA
http://life-as-a-spectator-sport.com