livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Deterring browsers with thorny living fences (was Re: More on jujube)

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Harvey Ussery <boxwood@nelsoncable.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Deterring browsers with thorny living fences (was Re: More on jujube)
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 15:16:59 -0400

I've been following this thread and was hoping that this site might help
someone choose the right plantings to keep deer out. ~Mitch

According to Musser Forests catalog, hawthorns are proof against deer (because of their thorns). Other thorny species one might use to deter browsers: pyracantha, holly, rugosa rose, brambles, prickly ash, black locust, honey locust. For those in closer to desert conditions: organ-pipe cactus (and other cacti).

But of course this is all theoretical for me--I haven't made a deer-proof living barrier to deer. But I'm leaning in that direction. Big project, big gamble. Would love to see thoughts from others.

~Harvey

--
Harvey in northern Va
www.themodernhomestead.us

I truly believe that as long as we have not found peace with the soil, we
won't find peace above the ground. That as long as we justify the
exploitation of any organism, other exploitations will follow and we will
remain parasites, consuming more than participating, and spiralling into
entropy until we commit mass suicide. ~Emilia Hazelip