livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] extra high tech food production

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pete Vukovich <pvukovic1@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] extra high tech food production
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 11:03:53 -0700 (PDT)

Reading Wendell Berry's comments in "The unsettling of america" (written 30-35 years ago) regarding university (university of nebraska I think?) models for modern farms makes it clear that this sort of delusion relapses with great frequency. The notion of futuristic robotic /automated farms without farmers and farm cultures,  no matter how absurd apparently has no cure in common sense. I'm sure by the time starvation is a regular occurence in the '1rst world' (whichever world that is), the usda and its equivalents will be well versed in marketing some form nano-farming and the next 'solution' to their last set of problems. Heard Wes Jackson (and others) say that we put in 10-20 calories into the soil for every calorie we extract now,and can't help  wonder what sort of ratio you can expect for these new high tech wonders.

Sure its the wrong strategy, but it sells over and over again. And not just to the non-farming community as a whole, farmers buy into it as well (to their own demise) , just like they bought into Earl Butz's 'get big' paradigm's more than 40 years ago.