livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Skeptiod and GM foods

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Dan Conine <dconine@bertramwireless.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Skeptiod and GM foods
  • Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 12:43:00 -0500

I always wonder about the "moral and spiritual" motivations of people who use those same arguments to SAY they want to feed the world, but really what they want is to make the world buy THEIR food. There is never a real moral discussion about how large a number of people is truly moral in the concept of caring for the world (we can only care for those we know--search "monkeysphere"), nor is there a question about (as the ancient Greeks discovered) the fact that any civilization is an individual-based compromise between the natural world and the city-state. Our present world human situation is one where the natural is something completely separate from the human, and something to be 'encompassed' by humans as though we have the ability or the carefulness to turn the natural world into a subset of human wants.
"All Human, All the Time" is the mindset, but it is an egotistical and immoral one to believe we always have the right to live. Nature only grants us the right to Try. So far, we have done nothing but try to find some way around that temporary gift.

The coming collapse of our System of systems is inevitable at this point. The best we can do is expect it and live our lives in a descending fashion. Those who don't accept the coming descent will crash into the walls that they themselves have created, such as only living through someone else's money, purchasing every resource they need, and expecting Someone Else to Do Something.

Dan C.
Belgium,WI

Message: 1 Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 13:53:04 -0400 From: "D K" <dkhs22@gmail.com> Subject: [Livingontheland] Skeptoid  There are some decent responses to it that seem to hit the nail on the head, but most of them could use a little education. http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4112 has transcript and audio. 8/5/2008 - All of the fears of health issues surrounding genetically modified organisms have so far been unfounded (and still lack plausible scientific hypotheses), and so anti-science activists like Greenpeace have turned to "moral and spiritual" objections to justify actions like fomenting terror in poor developing countries. Frightening hungry people away from important new advances in food science is really hard to stomach. I probably wouldn't use the words "ethnic genocide" but you gotta admit, it does have all the trappings. Diane K, Florida
-- Worldwide social network to encourage home-grown produce http://victorygardens.ning.com

--
W A R N I N G !!
By Presidential Executive Order, the National Security Agency (NSA) may be reading this without warning, warrant, or notice, judicial or legislative oversight. You have no recourse, or protection.