livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] "Redefining Sustainability: From "Greening' to Enhancing Capacity for Self-Renewal"

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Dan Conine <dconine@bertramwireless.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] "Redefining Sustainability: From "Greening' to Enhancing Capacity for Self-Renewal"
  • Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 13:36:31 -0500

"Enhancing capacity for self-renewal" is close to what I call "Net Creativity": each species must create some future usefulness over and above what they consume in resources, or they go extinct. Sometimes, it takes symbiosis for two or more species to come out ahead, while the vast majority have just died out.

"Any true environmentalist would commit suicide."
-I don't know where this is from, but it applies. Environmentalism being the worship of the environment, Capitalism being the worship of money: when will people realize it is the separation of ourselves from the things we worship and the things we need that leads to the fantasies of castles in some future sky, and the exploitation of our value by the middlemen who sell the castle dream?

It's all in the marketing.

Dan C.