livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] "Redefining Sustainability: From "Greening' to Enhancing Capacity for Self-Renewal"

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Liz <liz@allslash.org>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] "Redefining Sustainability: From "Greening' to Enhancing Capacity for Self-Renewal"
  • Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 09:10:00 -0400

At 10:13 PM 8/24/2008, you wrote:

THIS is a key explanation of sustainability and what's wrong with popular misconceptions of it. A keeper

paul tradingpost@lobo.net

Yes, a very good article. One of the things that leapt out at me, even though it isn't specifically mentioned, is that human nature (at least the Western variety) has not been good at adaptation. The distinction in many people's minds between primitive life and "civilization" is the apparent ability to manipulate the environment. Primitive societies have to live within the resources of their environment; civilized people alter the environment to meet their perceived needs, and bring in whatever resources they need to do that. Surely there is some happy medium between these extremes, but we don't seem to be in any hurry to find one. Small communities like OWL and Living on the Land are trying, but it seems like a lost cause sometimes.

Thanks for posting this--I'm going to pass it on.

Liz in SW VA
http://life-as-a-spectator-sport.com