livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Guinea Pigs as Survival Livestock

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pumpkin Lady <pumpkingal@clearwire.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Guinea Pigs as Survival Livestock
  • Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 09:34:53 -0500

Tradingpost wrote:
Guinea Pigs as Survival Livestock
http://www.alpharubicon.com/primitive/guineapigsaf.htm
I think people will move to different animals than beef over time if TSHTF. Myself, I am looking at dwarf goats for milk (anyone know where to get CAE free Nigerian Dwarfs in northern West Texas or eastern NM? ;) ) , but I won't eat them. I'm culinarilaly adventurous and have already had both sheep and goat - both made me nauseous within about an hour of consuming, more than once. Not sure why. Dark meat turkey or chicken also makes me sick if I eat it more than once in a week. I hope to add a few chickens and maybe rabbits next year. I still debate the rabbits. Have been looking for pre-slaughtered rabbit meat to try cooking with before buying a breeding pair, but not finding any locally. Butchers who used to carry them say they can't get them any more.

Goat meat farming is becoming something of a small business enterprise here locally I'm told.

Morgan