livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] high price of hay

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: blademan25@yahoo.com
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] high price of hay
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 11:21:35 -0700 (PDT)

I hate the high price of hay. Having a herd of dairy goats is
cost-prohibitive with the sky-rocketing feed prices. Our milk customers are
trying to get locally produced fresh raw milk and being in southern
california - that is near impossible. Face it - most of our world
populations are centered around metropolitan centers.

We have surrounding un-used acreage that would be ideal for growing grains
and legume crops, however our ever-environmentally conscious government has
labeled this property as environmentally sensitive habitat because of the
vernal tidal pools and the fairy shrimp.

I completely agree with you on the horse comment, however we have a voting
population that votes on their emotions rather than facts, and face it -
horses are regarded as "pretty, majestic, beautiful, etc" instead of "food
consuming, poop producing, leather supplying, meat supplying, labor and
energy consuming livestock".