livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] PERMANENT BEDS

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Liz <liz@allslash.org>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] PERMANENT BEDS
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 10:41:34 -0400

At 06:03 PM 7/13/2008, you wrote:

It is good to read this; that you had built up enough soil to need a third
course of 4X4's. You are making soil!

Funny how that works, isn't it :-) But also, good soil takes up more room than poor compacted soil (which is what everything else is around here).

I'm up to 13 beds now. When my beds get too full I usually build another
bed and fill it with soil from the existing beds. I don't think I'll need
another bed for a while though. The newest beds are made with 2X12 lumber
and are 12 feet long. I've got a ways to go before they're full to the top
with good soil.

I have 8, and I'm about to build two more to accommodate the fall garden, because I got a late start this year and all the existing beds are still full of growing plants. That's all I'll build in this area, though. I want to start moving the garden next year so I can plant more fruit trees where the existing garden is. Right now I'm clearing the pine trees out of the area where the new garden will be. Sometimes I feel as though I'm never going to have a permanent stable situation here where I can just maintain what I've got, sigh.

Liz in SW VA
http://life-as-a-spectator-sport.com