livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] PERMANENT BEDS

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Gail Hoskisson Loper <loghillgail@msn.com>
  • To: LOL <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] PERMANENT BEDS
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 16:03:51 -0600

On 7/11/08 2:05 PM, "Liz" <liz@allslash.org> wrote:

> I started out with two courses of 4x4's just laid on the ground, and
> this year I added a third course, as the original area filled up. The
> additional soil is a combination of compost, hay, newspaper, hardwood
> leaves and duff, grass clippings, and some commercial top soil (I
> brought home one truck load when I found a good price for it).

It is good to read this; that you had built up enough soil to need a third
course of 4X4's. You are making soil!

I'm up to 13 beds now. When my beds get too full I usually build another
bed and fill it with soil from the existing beds. I don't think I'll need
another bed for a while though. The newest beds are made with 2X12 lumber
and are 12 feet long. I've got a ways to go before they're full to the top
with good soil.

Gail