livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Growing for Pleasure and Quality of Life

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Growing for Pleasure and Quality of Life
  • Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2008 10:57:21 -0600

Thank you. The reason I stress small market operations is millions of people
have a little land they could be using to cut their food bill and/or making a
good extra income doing something really worthwhile and healthy.

The reason I stress profitable growing is because millions of people are
losing it in this economy. You and I are lucky not to be among them. Yet.
Most people need to be very concerned about what they get for the time they
put into home growing. Too many have three or more jobs in the household
trying to pay for gas and/or heating oil and/or utilities and/or
prescriptions and/or rent or mortgage and groceries, and can't afford to
waste time on the garden.

People generally think growing is too much work for too little reward, and
until people see good examples of profitable operations they won't even
consider getting into the action. No farming is sustainable if it can't
sustain the farmer first. If organic growers can't make good money, they
won't be growing organically or any other way. Farm families have been losing
their land or selling out by the millions over the last decades. And I
believe the centralization of corporate agribusiness is a stupid ripoff and
ecological suicide. Small is Beautiful.