livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] The Price Of Food: 2007 - 2008

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "bruce smith" <cityhomesteader@gmail.com>
  • To: "E. E. Mitchamore Jr" <emitch@att.net>, "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] The Price Of Food: 2007 - 2008
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 20:44:38 -0400

Hi,
so sorry to here that your garden was toasted.. I had that trouble a couple of years ago. Since then CT has had a pretty good rain fall pattern.. I do not water my garden with a hose unless pressed by hot weather and a lack of cached rain water.
Harvesting rain water is simple and a cheap way to store water.  All you need is in expensive plastic garbage cans with lids, and a sears sump pump with a hose attached.  When the barrel under the rain spout fills up, pump it to a garbage can and put a lid on it.. I fill 5 garbage cans at one rain storm..