livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Farmers in Colorado Struggle with Labor Shortage

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Farmers in Colorado Struggle with Labor Shortage
  • Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2008 21:52:58 -0600

Farmers in Colorado Struggle with Labor Shortage
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/business/july-dec07/farmers_08-20.html

In the wake of repeated crackdowns on illegal workers, some farmers in
Colorado are struggling to bring in their crops with fewer available migrant
workers. The NewsHour reports on how the problem is affecting individual
farmers and the American economy.

TOM BEARDEN, NewsHour Correspondent: On the Pisciotta family farm just
outside Pueblo, Colorado, workers are weeding and pruning the onion crop,
preparing for the fall harvest. But they aren't typical farm laborers;
they're inmates of the nearby state prison.

They're in the fields because the migrant workers that usually do this kind
of work are not. The women volunteers are part of a pilot program that five
local farmers are trying out. Joe Pisciotta pays the state over nine dollars
an hour per worker, which is more than the typical hourly wage for this kind
of work. He says, without this program, his onion, watermelon and pumpkin
crops would have suffered.

JOE PISCIOTTA, Vegetable Farmer: We need them. We've got a lot of money
invested in that crop up to harvest time, and if we don't have the people
here to harvest them -- we've tried local people. We've tried unemployment
agencies, and they just -- people just don't do that kind of work.

TOM BEARDEN: Pisciotta and others farmers say increased raids by immigration
enforcement officials on farms and businesses, coupled with new anti-illegal
immigration laws passed in Colorado last year, have depleted the
migrant-immigrant workforce on which they depended for decades. Some of those
workers were undocumented.

JOE PISCIOTTA: The immigrants, when they get here, they show up. You know,
they show up in their car or whatever. And, you know, "We're here. Let us
know when you've got work," and we just haven't had any come.

TOM BEARDEN: Colorado State University extension director Frank Sobolik has
been trying to help farmers adjust to the current labor shortage. He says
Colorado farmers are going to take a serious economic hit this year.

FRANK SOBOLIK, Colorado State University Cooperative Extension: What I'm
hearing is that many of the farmers have cut back roughly 50 percent of what
they would normally produce. And that's because they're expecting about 50
percent of the available labor that they're used to having, and there's no
sense in putting a lot of investment into the land, into the crops, and only
getting half of it back.

TOM BEARDEN: Farmers in southeastern Colorado hope the prison labor program
can be expanded, but growers on the western side of the state don't have
access to any similar program, growers like the Talbott family. They've been
raising peaches, apples and grapes in Palisade for more than 90 years. For
the first time last year, they faced a labor shortage.

Bruce Talbott says, as rumors of raids spread through the migrant community,
fewer people showed up to work. He worried that immigration officials might
show up and disrupt his harvest.

BRUCE TALBOTT, Talbott Farms: My worst fear is to lose a percent, significant
percent of my people in the middle of harvest. And because our income -- 70
percent of my income is generated in six weeks. And if that falls apart,
there's no way to recoup that.

We always saw H2A as an act of desperation and something you would only do as
a last-ditch effort to stay in business. We didn't expect to end up there.

Using federal guest workers

TOM BEARDEN: Talbott had no choice but to turn to a federal guest-worker
program called H2A. It was first established in 1943 and reformed in 1986
during the last round of immigration reform. Last year, farmers throughout
the country used H2A to legally bring in more than 59,000 agricultural
workers from outside the United States.

BRUCE TALBOTT: The H2A program is the government visa program to bring in
farm workers. And it's a very expensive, bureaucratic and cumbersome process,
so we've tried to avoid it as long as we could. We always saw H2A as an act
of desperation and something you would only do as a last-ditch effort to stay
in business. We didn't expect to end up there.

TOM BEARDEN: Talbott says he pays $2,400 each year just to apply to the
Department of Labor and the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services for a
specific number of foreign workers. He had to demonstrate that there was no
local labor available by placing month-long advertisements in the local
papers. Talbot also paid $300 per worker for visas and security certification.

And for each of his 35 H2A workers, he paid $160 for round-trip
transportation to and from their home countries. Farmers must also provide
free, federally approved housing, and pay a higher hourly wage than has been
traditional, a rate set by each state. This year, it is $8.64 an hour in
Colorado; he used to pay just over $7 an hour.

Talbott advertised extensively to try to find local workers.

BRUCE TALBOTT: I had three people respond to our advertisement for the
positions. We hired one immediately; she never returned. We hired another one
that, when the contract started, we wanted to use that person. He never would
answer his phone again. And the last one never would come in for an
interview. So we didn't end up getting anybody for our -- 59 positions is
what we were advertising for.

For any business that's dependent upon labor, as soon as you think you don't
have anybody else to get, that you began to be concerned, and we did.

Choosing not to plant

TOM BEARDEN: The Talbotts also had to hire an outside company just to deal
with massive amounts of government paperwork required to hire these immigrant
laborers.

On the other side of the county, Mark Harris says all of those requirements
make it economically impossible for him to participate. He runs Grand Valley
Hybrids, which grows and distributes hybrid seed corn in 11 states. He didn't
think he could find the 100-plus workers needed to work his 700 acres this
year, so he decided to just not plant a crop.

MARK HARRIS, Owner, Grand Valley Hybrids: The situation was going to be
turbulent at best and that we began to feel that, this time last year, that
if we'd had to have three more people, we're not sure we could have found
them. That began to concern us. For any business that's dependent upon labor,
as soon as you think you don't have anybody else to get, that you began to be
concerned, and we did.

TOM BEARDEN: But not planting was a wrenching decision.

MARK HARRIS: This is the first year since 1958 we grew no seed crop in the
Grand Valley near Grand Junction, Colorado. And that's a big deal for people
who were kind of basically farmers to begin with. This is what we've known
and what we love to do.

There is a huge benefit to that in that we have a legal workforce. We don't
have to worry about getting raided or we don't have to worry about our
workers having to hide in the shadows.

Seeking help from Congress

TOM BEARDEN: He says Congress needs to do something to deal with the growing
farm labor shortage.

MARK HARRIS: We're worried that -- I mean, labor's scarce in this country.
Whether it's ag labor, whatever it is, labor's scarce on all ends of the
economic spectrum. So, yes, we think we're looking at a situation where
there's not going to be enough labor to go around.

MIKE GILSDORF, Owner, Arapahoe Acres Nursery: Can you get on the radio and
call Danny for me and see where he's at?

TOM BEARDEN: Mike Gilsdorf is feeling the pinch, too. He runs Arapahoe Acres
Nursery and Tree Farm in a Denver suburb. Gilsdorf also participates in the
H2A program, one that he says has been successful for his operation for
almost a decade.

MIKE GILSDORF: There is a huge benefit to that in that we have a legal
workforce. We don't have to worry about getting raided or we don't have to
worry about our workers having to hide in the shadows because they come up
with a legitimate visa, and then every year they return to Mexico in the
wintertime.

Finding adequate labor

TOM BEARDEN: Despite those advantages, Gilsdorf has had to turn down business
because he still can't get enough people to do the work. And this year, his
guest workers arrived two months late after the government misplaced his
paperwork. It almost cost him his entire inventory.

MIKE GILSDORF: Well, we had intended to have all of our winter pruning done,
our planting done, much of our potting, and all of our tree harvesting done
by April 1st, and we didn't have any laborers to do it. So we went to the
Colorado Department of Labor in Weld County asking them, can they find us any
employees anywhere? We asked them to look in state and out of state. We went
to every employment agency we could. We advertised. We got very few workers.

TOM BEARDEN: Gilsdorf has to use a different visa program for his landscaping
business, called H2B. It's for non-agricultural workers. He'd like to hire
more such workers, but the H2B program is capped at 66,000 people for the
entire country. And for the second year in a row, the cap was reached in the
spring.

MIKE GILSDORF: So you're at the mercy of the government. And, yes, it does
concern me. I lay awake at night wondering, am I going to have labor next
year? Am I going to be in business next year?

TOM BEARDEN: With comprehensive immigration reform reportedly dead until
after the next election, five more southern Colorado farmers have inquired
about signing up for the prison labor program.