livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Chicken feed so far on food prices

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Daniel Conine <dconine@bertramwireless.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Chicken feed so far on food prices
  • Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2008 13:42:53 -0500

One of the issues that doesn't come up is to compare the Tyson dilemma of not being able to pass on costs with the airline situation. What happens to chicken prices for the Mogambo's greasy fingers when Tyson says "To heck with it." and shuts down a plant to cut costs, then another and another? If the demand for corn and beans stays high while the economy slumps, then people will be even less able to pay the higher costs, and the decision to shut down is usually a timing issue: whether the consumer cash can keep up with the costs of production.

Here's an article you might like(and I mentioned the Mogambo in it, too...;-) It's a lot of disjointed ideas in one essay, and after re-reading it, I could have done a lot better, but it gets to the idea that the system is too complex to maintain without cheap energy, and investors have to make the choice between quick profits where they exacerbate the instabilities or long term political (food) stability and smaller but steadier profits..

http://www.minyanville.com/articles/wfmi-oil-Food-mergers-whole-foods/index/a/17319

Dan C.

Belgium,WI