livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] we'll have to confront the farm-labor crisis

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Ken Hargesheimer <minifarms2@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] we'll have to confront the farm-labor crisis
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2008 11:45:45 -0700 (PDT)

Last week I completed 13 years as a substitute teacher.  I can't live on the pay but I love to do it.

High schools promote going to college.  Everything else is looked down on.  Here in Lubbock TX there is a need for welders [after the one year course in the community college, by the third year they are making $40,000 per year with their own truck].

There is an eleven letter dirty word in the English language:
A G R I C U L T U R E.  The future in farming and selling locally grown food, locally, is unlimited.  Out of 125 students taking Vo-Ag this past year only two are interested in production agriculture.

Now that school is out, I will be preparing and submitting a document to the TOGFA about establishing The Future Organic Farmers of America in the high schools.

Ken H