livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Wasted fertilizer

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen@earthlink.net>
  • To: <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Wasted fertilizer
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 10:26:06 -0700

Now that I am away from the farm I have time to contemplate some of the things we talked about.  Grant is very sharp and very knowledgeable so any conversation with him will generate many ideas that need to be followed up on.

One was using municipal sewage as fertilizer.  Millions of pounds of good nitrogen and other elements are wasted each year that could go to raising food or at the least improving soils.  Contamination is the big problem as people use all sorts of cleaners and dump many other things into the waste stream that should not be there.  This resource could be put to better use if we would realize just how valuable a resource out waste stream contains.

The place where I will be in the Ozarks uses sawdust toilets and composts the results.  One more way to close the loop.