livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Organic no-till leads to updating of FarmingSystems Trial

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen@earthlink.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Organic no-till leads to updating of FarmingSystems Trial
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 10:18:54 -0700

Organic no-till leads to updating of Farming Systems Trial
Rodale Institute combines two groundbreaking projects to push the envelope on how agriculture done right can curtail climate change.
http://www.rodaleinstitute.org/20080529/gw1

I just had an interesting discussion on this very topic. The organic farmer I was working with thinks this is a very good idea but we see that timing is very important. Timing when to roll the cover crop in is dependent on many factors, your soil, the weather, etc. He argues that this speaks volumes for keeping farms small so the farmer know as much as possible about the fields and growing conditions.

Don Bowen KI6DIU