livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Water shortages and drought are the next scourge, warns US group

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Water shortages and drought are the next scourge, warns US group
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 16:14:23 -0600

We've been saying for months that freshwater for agriculture needs more
conservation methods, such as building moisture-retentive soil with organic
matter, mulching permanent beds, and so forth. Some have wondered why the
concern, we've got plenty of water, why bother with these methods anyway.
Guess what?

Water shortages and drought are the next scourge, warns US group
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2008/may/29/generalelectric.greenbusiness

· General Electric aims to cut its own use by 20%
· Plan for heavy investment in recycling technologies

* David Gow in Brussels
* The Guardian,
* Thursday May 29 2008

The next scourge to afflict the global economy after soaring oil and food
prices will be a surge in the cost of water brought on by growing scarcity,
one of the world's biggest companies warned yesterday.

General Electric, the US industrial group, said it would cut its own use of
water by 20% by 2012 and export water-saving and recycling technology to
countries - often emerging economies - hit by shortages. Jeff Immelt, chief
executive, said in Beijing: "We believe that, just as greenhouse gas
emissions have been a big societal challenge, the same thing is true for
water."

Lorraine Bolsinger, vice-president of GE's Ecomagination green technology
division, added: "There is going to be a price on water that is going to
reflect its scarcity in a way it doesn't today. We're going to see that
change over time - certainly in emerging markets."

The move by GE comes as scientists are warning that 50% of the world's
nations will be hit by water shortages by 2025 and 75% by 2050. Barcelona is
already importing water from France.

Drought, already one source of surging food prices and water shortages could
prompt fresh outbreaks of war and terrorism as global warming, if unchecked,
spreads desertification around the world and causes increasing crop failures,
they say. A billion of the world's poorest people drink unsafe water,
according to Unicef. Senior UN officials warned MEPs this year that nuclear
power plants in Europe and the US could face shutdown because of a lack of
cooling water, while the switch to biofuels was proving a big drain on
dwindling supplies.

A cabinet office report predicted that by 2050 half of arable land in the
world might no longer be suitable for production because of water shortages
and climate change. By then the global population is expected to have grown
from today's 6.3 billion to 9 billion.

GE said its water reduction target would save 7.4m cubic metres of fresh
water - enough to fill more than 3,000 Olympic-sized swimming pools.

John Rice, GE vice-chairman and head of its infrastructure division, said in
Brussels it was impossible to calculate cost-savings as the price of water
was bound to rise over the next few years.

The group plans to employ water re-cycling technologies at more than 1,000
plants around the world - mainly in the US, Europe and Asia. Rice said some
of the sites would cut water usage by more than others. "We expect that we
will be able to improve and continue improving technologies which we will
then be offering to other companies in other countries."

Immelt added: "We will use our broad portfolio to reduce water consumption,
ensure long-term supplies and increase operational returns at GE facilities
around the world."

DuPont, the US chemicals group, has set itself a target of a 30% reduction in
water consumption by 2015, while Coca-Cola has said it has achieved a cut of
almost 20% since 2003.

The GE initiative is under the umbrella of Ecomagination, which includes
energy-saving lighting and renewable energy. It boosted its sales to 8% of
global turnover last year.

The group, which reduced its own greenhouse gas emissions by 8% last year,
separately announced a deal with oilfield services company Schlumberger to
develop clean coal technology.

  • [Livingontheland] Water shortages and drought are the next scourge, warns US group, Tradingpost, 05/29/2008