livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Flea beetle damage

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Nigel Kirby" <naturespirit@clearwire.net>
  • To: <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Flea beetle damage
  • Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 13:41:06 -0700

Does anyone have any suggestions for dealing with flea beetles. They are destroying my arugula, cress, mizuna and radishes and now I have noticed them on my chard. I decided not to pull my plants when I first noticed them as I did not want them to go elsewhere looking for food (this strategy has worked in the past for other insects), however, they are now spreading to other crops. I also planted these crops in another part of my garden which has been clear of flea beetles until this morning when I noticed some damage on some young plants. I usually ignore most insect problems and they usually sort themselves out, but since I am beginning to sell some of my produce this year (mainly salad greens), this is a bigger issue for me now than if I was just growing for myself. My organic insect control books say to use pyrethrin but I don’t like the idea of this approach. I have not used any sprays in the past and I don’t intend to start now. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Nige

  • [Livingontheland] Flea beetle damage, Nigel Kirby, 05/26/2008