livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Rising Ag Prices: The New Mother of Invention?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: <mdnagel@verizon.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Rising Ag Prices: The New Mother of Invention?
  • Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 02:54:33 -0500 (CDT)

Inactivism, I like it! :-)

Here's a handy quote that speaks to this:

"You never change anything by fighting the existing. To change something,
build a new model and make the existing obsolete." -- Buckminster Fuller

-Mark Nagel
Everett, WA

From: Tradingpost <tradingpost@lobo.net>

Well put, Mark. However, let me stress I'm not "challenging" any "economic
god" as such; I'm ignoring them. I don't need to fight them; I go around
them. I deprive them of my participation in their scam. I don't buy their
poisons, their fossil fuel fertilizer or farm machinery; I don't sell at the
middleman's price and meekly take what they offer. I don't want votes or
foundation funding or taxpayer subsidies, or licenses or permits or some
pencil pusher's permission to grow food and sell it to friends and neighbors.

It's been called "inactivism". Not participating in a system you don't
approve of. It's not activism, not fighting the system, just depriving the
system of it's lifeblood - money and warm bodies marching to their tune.

There I've said it ;-) Or did Gandhi say it first. He was known for
nonviolence but his "constructive programme" was about localization and
community empowerment. That was what outraged the Queen. And cost Britain
its' empire.
http://aadityaongandhi.blogspot.com/2007/09/relevance-of-constructive-programme-of.html
http://www.mkgandhi.org/cnstrct/cnstrct.htm