livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Rising Ag Prices: The New Mother of Invention?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: <mdnagel@verizon.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Rising Ag Prices: The New Mother of Invention?
  • Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 22:10:12 -0500 (CDT)

But Paul, you're missing the point, it's all about "economic growth," that
is, growth of the elite's wallets! If you decentralize the existing
inefficient system these folks won't be able to "stimulate" the economy by
buying mansions and jetting around the world! How dare you challenge the
economic god! :-)

-Mark Nagel
Everett, WA

From: Tradingpost <tradingpost@lobo.net>

So many clueless columnists, so little time.

That guy realizes "fertilizer lets farmers raise production but is
energy-intensive to make. Transporting food great distances also requires
much energy. So does processing." but he doesn't know fertilizer only raises
production at the expense of nutrition, and has no idea how to avoid fossil
fuel-intensive long distance transportation and processing.

He also thinks tractors raised efficiency, but never includes the cost of the
tractor and all the workers that go into manufacturing it, or the massive
amounts of fossil fuel burned in its manufacture. Worse, he thinks Monsanto
and BASF are innovators. I'd say exploiters of soil, water, and people, not
innovators.

He wants better ways of using water and fertilizer, better seeds, and better
ways of localizing food. We've had those better ways for decades. We build
healthy soil to be more moisture retentive with no need for fertilizer. We
have highly productive seeds that have stood the test of time, heirlooms. We
can grow and sell where we live and work. What's so hard about that? Does NY
Times pay writers to play dumb?