livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Food Riots: debate on how best to farm

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Liz <liz@allslash.org>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Food Riots: debate on how best to farm
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 08:30:12 -0400

At 01:59 PM 5/12/2008, you wrote:
livingontheland-request@lists.ibiblio.org wrote:
> "Small farms," he says, "are a sign that your agriculture is very inefficient.
As Wendell Berry would say, "What are people for?"
Until we decide how to treat people as though individuals have value to
the universe (the land, other people, etc), then these types of
statements about 'efficiency' will continue to rule how policies are made.

That's a great summation of why small farms, small businesses, and small communities are so essential.

Liz in SW VA
http://life-as-a-spectator-sport.com